My name is Matt Murphy. I am a passionate Architect with Architecture RMT in Kansas City. I graduated from Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design where I earned a BFA degree in Interior Architecture.
Shortly after graduation I followed my future wife to Kansas City and have been here ever since vowing to stay in this great city and urban core we have inhabited, explored and loved since 2001.
My educational and personal background in fine arts provides a unique lens to approach Architecture through multiple facets of creative and critical thinking. My ability to take broad issues and break them down into feasible components combined with my strong management background allows me to contribute greatly to Architecture and my community.
An unwavering desire to achieve positive goals for Architecture, both professionally and personally is what drives me.
My work ethic, passion and enthusiasm for betterment and understanding of this profession draw the respect of others, leading by example rather than intimidation. I have been told I have the “innate ability to lead without effort.”
I want to continue to find my voice in this alliance of Architects and advance the leadership roles my past managerial and AIA experiences have afforded me. I strive to learn from opportunities and challenges as well as benefit those around me with my experiences, opinions and talents. These are items are I challenge myself and peers with on a daily basis:
• Let's continue to promote and build community with unbelievable passion!
• Let’s make sure everybody knows design does matter!
• Let’s hold ourselves accountable for the future of our profession!
• Let’s challenge every Architect to become a mentor!
• Let's PASS the ARE together!
It is important to understand what motivates someone on a personal level! Here is a quick fire list of the things I love: k, family, friends, animals, the annual ice fishing trip, punk rock & folk music, painting, buildings, Milwaukee, steel tip darts, gardening, beer, hockey, tattoos, Minnesota Twins & Vikings, Dallas Stars, crossword puzzles, trains and tornadoes.
Professional Education & Accreditations:
• Registered Architect: Wisconsin
• LEED AP BD + C
• 2009 Graduate of AIA Kansas City’s Pillars Leadership Development Program
• 1999 - 2002: Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design, Milwaukee, WI
• Bachelor of Fine Arts: Interior Architecture
• GPA: 3.90/4.0
• 5/01 - 6/01: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
• San Gemini, Italy Historic Preservation Studies
• Work archived at the Ministry of Art and Architecture in Perugia, Italy
Project Type Experience:
Hotel + Conference • Federal • Retail Shopping Centers • Corporate Office • National Retail Stores • Sports • Lifestyle Shopping Centers • Educational • Restaurants
• 11/10 - Present: Architecture RMT, Kansas City, MO - Architect
• 6/07 - 11/10: Rafael Architects Inc., Kansas City, MO - Project Manager
• 7/02 - 6/07: Klover Architects, Inc., Overland Park, KS - Project Manager
• 9/99 - 5/02: MIAD, Milwaukee, WI - IA+D Special Projects Designer
• 7/00 - 5/02: JaroszLynch Architects, Milwaukee, WI - Freelance Designer
• 8/00 - 12/00: Miller Architectural Group, Inc., Milwaukee, WI - Intern
Awards & Achievements:
• 2011: AIA National 6th Annual Jason Pettigrew Memorial ARE Scholarship
• 2009: Populous Appreciation Award - Kauffman Stadium Renovations
• 1999 - 2002: Milwaukee Institute of Art & President’s List for entire college career
• 1999: Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design’s 4 Year Admissions Scholarship
• American Institute of Architects Kansas City Chapter
• U.S. Green Building Council Central Plains Chapter
• Green Building Certification Institute
• Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design Alumni Association
• 2011: Nominated to AIA National Associates Committee, Regional Associate Director
• 2011 - Present: AIA Kansas City Gear, Co-Founder
• 2010 - Present: AIA Kansas City Member Value Board Committee
• 2010: Nominated to run for AIA Kansas City Board of Directors
• 2010: AIA National Board Community Committee, General Member At-Large
• 2010 - 2012: AIA Central States Region Emerging Professionals Committee
• 2009 - 2010: AIA National Emerging Professionals Coalition – Grassroots Effort
• 2008 - 2011: AIA Kansas City Emerging Professionals Committee
• "rk KABOOM", Not-for-Profit Foundation, Treasurer
• 9/10: Greaserama No. 10, Boulevard Drive-In Theater, Kansas City, KS
• 9/09: Greaserama No. 9, Boulevard Drive-In Theater, Kansas City, KS
• 4/02 - 5/02: The Memory of Design, Layton Gallery, Milwaukee, WI
• 11/01 - 12/01: San Gemini 2001, Preservation Show, UWM, Milwaukee, WI
• 2/01 - 3/01: San Gemini 2000, Preservation Show UWM, Milwaukee, WI
• 11/99 - 1/00: Architectural Interventions, Student Gallery, Milwaukee, WI
• 2/99 - 4/99: MIAD All Student Show, Layton Gallery, Milwaukee, WI
• "Alumni" Take Flight. Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design. Article. 2012.
• "Pettigrew Scholarships Announced at NAC/YAF Emerging Professionals Reception" AIArchitect. Online. May 2011.
• "American Institute of Architects Select Recipients of the Sixth Annual Jason Pettigrew Memorial ARE Scholarship" AIA Pressroom. Online. May 2011.
• “How Has the Economic Downturn Affected You?” AssociateNews. Online. Sept. 2009.
• PILLARS: AIA KC Pillars Leadership Development Program 2009. July 2009.
• “AIA - KC Pillars 2008-09” Online. Internet. 2008-2009.
• “Get Involved: Pillars Leadership Program” Online. Internet. 2008-2009.
• "San Gemini Preservation Studies." Online. Internet. 2003 - 2009.
• form-Z 2000-2001 Joint Study Program Report. Editor: Yessios, Chris. Dec. 2001. 3 images selected
Additional Projects (Not Represented in Portfolio):
• Barnes Law Firm Renovation, Kansas City, MO; 7,600 sf
• Housing Authority of Kansas City ADA Improvements: Kansas City, MO
• Cordell + Cordell Law Firm Tenant Finish: Independence, MO; 2,700 sf
• KCMO School District Athletic Fields Assessments: Kansas City, MO; 4 schools
• Dwight D. Eisenhower VAMC, Facade Renovation: Leavenworth, KS
• Federal Bureau of Prisons - LEED Feasibility Analysis, FCI Greenville; Greenville, IL
• Harry Truman Memorial VA Hospital, Security Deficiencies; Columbia, MO
• Multi Service Corporation: Overland Park, KS; 15,000 sf
• Sunflower Group Headquarters: Lenexa, KS; 24,000 sf
• Brooksider Bar & Grill Exterior Facade Renovations (unbuilt): Kansas City, MO
• Broadway Plaza, Lawrence, KS; 15,000 sf
• Mission Corner (unbuilt): Leawood, KS; 400,000 sf
• Overland Pointe Market Place; Overland Park, KS; 20,000 sf
• Plaza at the Speedway: Kansas City, KS; 865,000 sf
• Raymore Galleria: Raymore, MO; 400,000 sf
• Renaissance Plaza (unbuilt): Kansas City, MO; 8,000 sf
• Regency Court: Omaha, NE; 171,000 sf
• Shoppes at Mason Road: Houston, TX: 24,000 sf
• Dick's Sporting Goods at Southwest Plaza Mall: Littleton, CO; 50,000 sf
• Orscheln Farm & Home: Raymore, MO; 40,000 sf
• Pottery Barn: Leawood, KS; 16,000 sf
• Greenway Station Addition (unbuilt): Middleton, WI; 45,000 sf
• The Legends (unbuilt): Kansas City, KS; 1,200,000 sf
• Oakbrook Promenade: Oakbrook, IL; 172,000 sf
• Shops at Boardwalk: Kansas City, MO; 136,000 sf
• The Shops at Walnut Creek: Westminster, CO; 457,000 sf
• Village Pointe: Omaha, NE; 450,000 sf
• Kevin's Custard: Overland Park, KS; 2,300 sf